Monday, February 28, 2011

Academy Awards: Tweed's Favorite Looks

From tailored suits to gorgeous jewelry, tasteful up-dos and, of course, the gowns, the Oscars gave us quite the array of “fashion eye candy” (As Harper so eloquently put it). From Natalie Portman to Melissa Leo and my three favorite gowns, it was interesting to see that many of the dresses boasted the same features: cap sleeves and Asian collars.

Here are my Oscar nominees for best dressed:

Cate Blanchett
OK. Cate’s dress caused a bit of a fashion stir. Cate Blanchett is one of those lucky women who can pull anything off, due to her porcelain skin, elegant body type and unmatched poise. Cate’s dress, designed by Givenchy, was a bit odd, but that is what I loved about it … well the front of it anyway. It was like pioneer woman meets science fiction meets Greek goddess. The front was amazing, yes, and this is why I fell in love with the dress. I must admit, however, when I saw the back and sides of the dress, I cringed a bit.



Annette Bening
There is nothing more attractive than a confident woman and Annette Bening was that woman on Oscar night. She just looked so beautiful in her gown, which was both age appropriate, but showed off her great body. The sleeves are adorable and so is the neckline. Bening glowed in this dress. Truly impeccable.


Scarlett Johansson
When Scarlett Johansson walked onto that Oscar stage, I admit that an audible gasp escaped my lips. I am not a fan of the actress, but tonight, she looked stunning. I was a bit disappointed in her hair, as it seemed to dress down the spectacular Dolce & Gabbana dress she was wearing. Looking past the hair, this dress was a showstopper. I loved the cutouts and rich magenta color. The back of the dress had to be my favorite, with the cutout fringed in elegant lace. This dress fit Johansson like a glove. She was utterly gorgeous. I also loved that she kept the jewelry minimal, simply sporting a pair of Ann Hu studs.

2 comments:

  1. Tweed, I'm glad we're a team because even if we don't agree on all the looks, we certainly bring a variety to our readers! I am on the fence about Scarlett's dress. It is gorgeous, but is that black underwear showing through???

    -Harper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably. It is Scarlett after all.

    ReplyDelete